Monday, November 30, 2009

I applied for work on a train crew with a railroad without NARS. What are my odds of getting an interview?

I've have an excellent work history, extensive safety


background, lots of commo experience, years of experience working outdoors in every imaginable weather condition. No issues with booze or drugs.I applied for work on a train crew with a railroad without NARS. What are my odds of getting an interview?
Many people seem to think that NARS is a waste of time and money - just have a look at the forum link below:


http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic鈥?/a>





I'm sure NARS qualifications can't do any harm, but with the record you've listed, particularly the safety background, I doubt it's necessary for you to get the job. Safety really is the number one priority in rail company manager's minds these days, so if you have a history of safety awareness and practice that should count for a lot.


Practical experience also counts for much - something which many companies forgot in their rush for people with lots of letters behind their name, but are now starting to realise again.


Good luck - I'm sure you'll get the interview.I applied for work on a train crew with a railroad without NARS. What are my odds of getting an interview?
you have a very good chance to get the job,but they have testing on that job every time there is accident,on the job you will also still have to go for the medical testing,they check eyes,ears,body shape, this is the job controlled by the government,and there guide lines.
Norfolk Southern hired me and I had never even heard of NARS. I have never worked with anyone at NS that has been to NARS. It would depend on the railroad. CSX in Birmingham, AL will not/can not hire you unless you have been to their version of NARS. BNSF likes NARS but will hire without it.





Attending NARS does not guarantee you anything. You have to pass all the tests and be ready to go to work when and where they need you. Go to railroad.net and you will see how many NARS grads are still waiting for a job. Some grad. in 2006. The cost of NARS is about 5000 plus hotel and food that bumps the cost to about 7000. With no guarantee at all. I would try without it before spending money at Choo-Choo U.
IF you're applying for UP don't waste money with NARS, for with UP you still have to go their training program and they pay you while training you.
From the experience I've had as a railroaders wife for 20 years, do not get a job on any RR if you want a family life, you are never home, miss birthdays, anniversaries and any other family time you can think of including holidays. Any RR will play havoc with your life, but is you don't mind the stress, go for it.
If you wrote down those atributes you mentioned in your paragraph here, that's certainly a good indicator. Many people don't - or don't know how - to make an application stand out. I did the same thing many years ago when I applied. I also had a few aquaintences that worked for different railroads, and asked them if I could use them as references. Even if it means writing all this stuff down on a seperate sheet of paper and attaching it to the application, it going to catch someone's eye. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
fast cash