Thursday, December 10, 2009

If I graduate from NARS (National Academy of RR Sciences) can I reasonably expect employm't with a Class 1 RR?

Boy, I would sure hope so. But, yes, by going through NARS you will have an excellent chance of being hired by any of the Class 1s. Having said that they may be a bit hesitant to hire you right on as an engineer, even if you have become FRA certified, because besides a senority issue, each have their own methods about such.





EDIT: Indeed, Travis said it best.If I graduate from NARS (National Academy of RR Sciences) can I reasonably expect employm't with a Class 1 RR?
Usually....I currently work for a shortline, where we have hired several NARS grads over the last year or two who were not picked up by BNSF or UP.....not one of them is still employed with us. I guess those who can, get hired by a Class 1. Those who don't get hired, in my experience, should never have been accepted to NARS in the first place! I've had a similar experience with recent ';grads'; of Modoc rail training in CA. Personally, I went to Clayton College and State University in Morrow GA, which has a similar program for hiring on with CSX. All of my class was hired except one, and he lied about having a DUI. If you decide to go, I don't think I'd waste the money on an engineers certification course....chances are slim to none that you will get picked up by any road as an engineer, except perhaps a desperately short handed shortline. Get the basic class, then get a job, and learn to railroad by doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
fast cash