Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Is Nars Really worth it?

I was checking online and im just curious to know is the school Nars worth it? I figure its a good way to become closer to becoming an locomotive enginnerIs Nars Really worth it?
It is, I gradated from NARS recently and got a job with the railroad just a few months later, I had been rejected numerous times from not having experience. With NARS I was provided with what the railroads wanted so it made it that much easier to get a job. the instructors at NARS are railroad employee's (ex-locomotive engineers, conductor's etc.)





Becoming a locomotive engineer is going to be a long process for myself or any other new hire, because you cant go straight to being an engineer because you have to work as a conductor and the railroad you will promote you by your seniority.





If you do decide that NARS is the path you want to take then go for it, i recommend it 100%.Is Nars Really worth it?
Tough question. My son was wondering the same thing, I know a guy that works for BNSF and here is what they do:


Hire for class transfers from other departments first, then experienced people from other railroads, then NARS or other rail academy graduates.


It gives you a leg up on other ';off the street'; applicants.


My son was considering that but he opted to go for an entry level position in the track department and apply for a class transfer when operating dep't openings became available.


Talk to the human resources people on the railroad(s) you are considering, it is their job to tell you what they look for in prospective applicants.


Good Luck!
I work for Norfolk Southern as an engineer.I'm not trying to discourage you, but you must,must,must be very patient.If you walk into a perfect situation,you could go to school relatively quickly.It took six and a half years before my number came up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
fast cash